Tuwo Shinkafa is a traditional Nigerian food that is popular in the northern part of the country. It is made from rice flour and is usually served with different types of soup, such as miyan kuka or miyan taushe. Tuwo Shinkafa is a filling and nutritious meal that is perfect for any time of day.
- 2 cups of rice flour
- Large pot with a lid
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Plastic wrap
1. In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
2. In a mixing bowl, add 2 cups of rice flour and slowly pour in 2 cups of hot water while stirring the mixture with a wooden spoon or spatula. Mix until a smooth dough forms.
3. Once the water in the pot is boiling, reduce the heat to low and add the rice flour dough. Stir constantly with the wooden spoon or spatula until the dough is cooked and has formed a smooth and thick consistency. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
4. Remove the pot from the heat and allow the Tuwo Shinkafa to cool for a few minutes.
5. Knead the dough with your hands until it is smooth and no longer sticky. If the dough is too dry, you can add a little bit of water to make it more pliable.
6. Divide the dough into small balls and roll them out into thin rounds using a rolling pin.
7. Wrap each round in plastic wrap to keep it from sticking to the other rounds.
This recipe is gluten-free and vegan, but please be sure to check the rice flour package for any potential allergens.
Each serving of Tuwo Shinkafa (about 1 cup of cooked dough) contains approximately 200-250 calories.
Tuwo Shinkafa is usually served with a spicy soup, so the level of spiciness can vary depending on the type of soup you choose to serve it with.
To make this recipe even healthier, you can use brown rice flour instead of white rice flour. You can also add some chopped vegetables such as carrots or spinach to the dough for added nutrition.
Kitchen Equipments and Ingredients on Amazon:
- Rice flour: Click to Buy
- Large pot with lid: Click to Buy
- Wooden spoon: Click to Buy
- Mixing bowl: Click to Buy
- Rolling pin: Click to Buy
- Plastic wrap: Click to Buy
We hope you find this recipe and information helpful! Enjoy making and eating your homemade Tuwo Shinkafa meal!